PayPal Casino Sites
PayPal is a popular way for Canadians to send and receive money safely and securely. It is used to pay bills, make internet purchases, and to send money to family and friends at little or no cost.
The payment method has a core product that operates like an eWallet, parking funds between your financial institution and merchants or friends.
However, there are also several spin-off products, some of which have been useful to online casino players.
We’ll take a look at Canadian PayPal casinos, show you ways to use PayPal for online gambling, and explore alternative deposit and withdrawal methods with PayPal acting as a constituent in the process.
Best PayPal Casinos in 2019
Don’t you hate it when someone asks…
Do you want the good news or the bad news first?
As if the timing is going to change anything about the objective facts!
Let’s sit down, have a cup of coffee or tea, keep our chins up and deal with reality, shall we?
If you prefer to look at the bright side first or only, please skip to The Good News About PayPal for Canadian Casino Players.
PayPal is simply too “American” to be used by Canadians directly for online deposits and withdrawals at most overseas gambling sites.
The company stopped processing US online casino deposits shortly after the recklessly misused UIGEA of 2006 went into effect. Slowly but surely they also began restricting the use of the method for other “gray area” jurisdictions where online gambling law is ambiguous.
Of course, in Canada, it is neither illegal nor specifically legal for residents to gamble offshore and that is about as gray as you can get. A similar but murkier situation has existed in the US since the UIGEA with Justice Departments under different administrations interpreting the legal landscape differently.
We’ll spare the gory details of how Neteller founders John Lefebvre and Stephen Lawrence were charged by US authorities for money laundering, even though internet gambling (other than sports) has never been illegal there and the founders had no active role in the company when they were arrested causing the company to lose more than 60% of its business overnight.
PayPal operates on the side of caution, so it’s not hard to imagine why we can no longer deposit and withdraw with PayPal directly except in a transient fashion – when a gaming site gets creative and lets us use it… until they feel the heat.
We’ve done extensive research and testing and will keep our list of casinos accepting PayPal deposits and withdrawals up to date. If no list appears or it is not populated, that simply means that players will have to get a bit creative to fund their entertainment with funds in, or accessible through, their PayPal accounts.
PayPal Cash, Loyalty, and Business Debit Cards
For quite a while, players were able to fund their accounts with secondary PayPal products. However, in 2018, the company announced it was pulling these ‘workarounds’ from the Canadian market. PayPal Cash and PayPal Business Debit Mastercards are now only available for US PayPal accounts.
PayPal Digital Gift Cards
Again, these are only available via PayPal US, eBay US, and Facebook Marketplace which only allows regional access.
Here’s the final bit of bad news for PayPal account holders in Canada who want to gamble with their own funds parked in the PayPal eWallet product…
Don’t count on it if you prefer to play at overseas casinos. However, provincial sites will accept PayPal deposits and payout to your bank in about 4 business days.
The company has placed so many roadblocks in your way that it’s simply easier to use another method to fund your casino accounts.
That’s not to say it is impossible and it is certainly worth asking a support representative if they have any “special ways” for you to do it, but alternate methods seem to come and go when they appear at all.
PayPal>Money>Send or request money>Send to a friend/Pay for an item or service
The Good News About PayPal for Canadian Casino Players
There are few holes the company has been slow to patch, and we will show you here one way to use PayPal surreptitiously as a withdrawal method at overseas casinos serving Canadian players!
Please note: This may change over time but has held true for long enough to consider it a viable method.
There is one caveat, however. You’ll need to transact with the casino using cryptocurrency on Coinbase. Other exchanges may offer the service but we are still unaware of any that do.
While we can no longer purchase BTC or other digital currencies with a Canadian bank account or credit card. It is still possible to use a debit card to buy coins.
- Purchase BTC with a Canadian debit card
- Deposit digital currency from Coinbase into your favorite online Canadian casino account
- Win and cash out funds to Coinbase
- Link your Coinbase and PayPal accounts
- INSTANTLY “sell” the coins to yourself at PayPal
- Spend the money online or withdraw the money to your Canadian bank account. It will arrive within one business day, sooner if early in the day, later if after 7:00 PM ET or on weekends or holidays
Was the good news worth waiting for? We hope so!
Alternatives to PayPal
We tirelessly scour the payment industry and offshore casino websites online for safe and secure ways Canadians can deposit and withdraw.
Some methods allow only deposits, and others (PayPal) only allow withdrawals. Some, like the top four on our list, will work for money going into and coming out of overseas casino sites. All should work for provincial lottery monopoly casinos like PlayNow, etc.
Simply click the link to learn more about each method and to find Canadian casinos that welcome and accept your patronage using the particular facility or device.
- iDebit – Deposit and withdraw between your bank and casino with this instant funding gateway
- Interac – You know about Interac. Step by step guides for Interac Online and Interac e-Transfer casino banking
- EcoPayz – A true eWallet for Canadian online gamblers
- InstaDebit – Similar to iDebit, a direct bank transfer method
- VISA – Debit cards have a higher deposit success rate than credit cards. However, payouts can only be done to a depositing credit card. Use Visa debit to fund other methods
- Citadel – Instant banking for deposits at a select few casinos
- eCheck – Deposit using an electronic check. Sports Interaction and a few others accept this automated clearing house (ACH) method, but deposits are not instant
- Paysafecard – Pick up almost anywhere, deposits only for Canada
- Skrill – No longer available for casino transactions offshore. Alternatives are presented
- Entropay – No longer a viable method for deposits or withdrawals
- Neteller – Like Skrill, this method is no longer available for Canadian casino transactions offshore. Alternatives exist
- Neosurf – A bright spot in the payment landscape. Learn how to fund online and how to use it as a withdrawal method
- InPay – Danish processor who transacts in the local currency, saving conversion fees
- Vanilla Prepaid – This method works at a few casinos. If you see it listed as a deposit method, be sure to ascertain whether your card can be used for international transactions – not all can
- Reverse Withdrawals – Rather than withdrawing only to deposit again, some sites offer special incentives to reverse your withdrawal while in the “pending” period. Not a recommended method except in certain limited circumstances.
Canadian PayPal Casinos Conclusion
As a stand-alone product, the PayPal eWallet is next to useless for Canadian gamblers these days. It is very difficult to locate a reputable operator who will process your transaction using PayPal.
That’s not to say it is impossible, just highly unlikely.
We currently find PayPal’s best use to be a quick (instant) way to convert Bitcoin into CAD. Parking all or part of your winnings in your Coinbase CAD wallet takes the funds out of the volatile marketplace with immediate access to trading if you want to gamble in the market with it.
With your winnings safely and securely in a PayPal account, you can spend the funds online almost anywhere, or simply withdraw them to your Canadian bank account and then pay bills or get cash from an ABM within one working day.
For this reason alone, we still find PayPal to be a valuable tool in the arsenal of Canadians who play online.